Revolution Romp in 5-0 Win Over Stunned Sounders 

by Brian O'Connell on May.11.2014
  1. FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Diego Fagundez snapped out of his scoring slump in a big way by tallying twice in the first half to lead the New England Revolution to a 5-0 thrashing over the Seattle Sounders on Sunday at Gillette Stadium.

    After going without a goal in his first nine games, Fagundez, last year’s leading scorer for the Revolution, struck in the 29th and 41st minutes. Patrick Mullins scored for the second straight week in the 14th minute, while Teal Bunbury tallied in the 36th. Adding insult to injury for the guests, a Chad Marshall own goal gave the Revolution their fifth score of the game in the 46th minute.

    Some early Seattle fireworks quickly faded after five minutes as the Revolution started to tip the field in their favor. Lee Nguyen and Diego Fagundez found looks inside of 10 minutes, but the Revolution wouldn’t have to wait long to break through.

    With plenty of space to operate, Chris Tierney pushed down the left and crossed it for Bunbury at the far back post. The service was initially deflected by a sliding Brad Evans before it fell to Bunbury, who attempted to one-time it through. But even though he was denied by the post, Mullins was there send it through.

    The Revolution grabbed another 15 minutes later when Tierney sent a through ball to Fagundez, who approached the left post and pushed his shot past the dive of Stefan Frei.

    While much of the talk entering Sunday’s match surrounded Seattle’s prolific attack, New England would score a third goal in the 36th minute.

    In face of a Seattle backline in complete disarray, Nguyen fed a pass forward to Bunbury, who fired away on Frei. The rebound spilled right back to him, though, and Frei mishandled Bunbury’s second effort before it fell into the back of the net.

    Fagundez struck again with the interval approaching when he brought down a long ball from Bunbury and wasted no time uncorking a shot lodged itself in the back of the net in the 41st minute.

    As if Sunday’s match couldn’t get any more sour for the Sounders, a Bunbury shot from inside the box deflected off the arm of Marshall before it crashed through to give the Revolution another goal in the opening moments of the second half.

    Seattle collected half-chances on shots from Kenny Cooper and Chad Barrett in the second half, but the guests wouldn’t find a way onto the scoreboard before referee Juan Carlos Rivero chirped his whistle thrice.

    The Revolution will return to action on Saturday against the Philadelphia Union at PPL Park on Saturday at 7pm, while the Sounders head back home to host the San Jose Earthquakes at CenturyLink Field on Saturday at 10pm ET.

* Should you think there is copyright infringement in this content, please email us at: