Join soccerly to save and share the best soccer stories
Sign up with Facebook
By login in with Facebook you agree on the terms and conditions specified here

Teal Bunbury struck late against his former club as the New England Revolution captured a 2-0 win over Sporting Kansas City on Saturday at Gillette Stadium.
Stoppage Time Strikes Net New England 2-0 Win over Sporting KC
Apr 26, 2014; Foxborough, MA, USA; New England Revolution midfielder Lee Nguyen (24) dribbles the ball during the first half against Sporting KC at Gillette Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Stew Milne-USA TODAY Sports

FOXBOROUGH, Mass – Teal Bunbury struck late against his former club as the New England Revolution captured a 2-0 win over Sporting Kansas City on Saturday at Gillette Stadium.

Bunbury unlocked a scoreless match in the 92nd minute after he chested a Diego Fagundez pass into the back of the net. Lee Nguyen scored from the spot in the 95th minute after Uri Rossel was handled a Fagundez header inside the area.

New England extended its current unbeaten run to three (2-0-1) and pushed their record to 3-3-2 (11 points) on the season. Conversely, Kansas City’s five-game unbeaten streak (3-0-2) came to a halt, while their mark dropped to 3-2-2 (11 points).

The Revolution were without the services of left-back Kevin Alston and winger Saer Sene against Kansas City. Alston was suspended after receiving a red card – the first of his MLS career - late in last week’s match in Chicago. Sene was excused from the team this weekend for what Revolution president Brian Bilello called “personal reasons.”

The odds seemed stacked against the hosts entering the match. Kansas City came into Gillette Stadium unbeaten in its previous six head-to-head clashes against the Revolution, and hadn’t conceded a New England goal since Jul. 30, 2011.

Despite Kansas City’s reputation for using its high-pressure to suffocate its opponents, the Revolution nearly got onto the board in the 16th minute. Nguyen chipped a ball over the top for Jerry Bengtson, who slipped past his defender and only had Eric Kronberg to beat. But the Honduran forward’s shot wasn’t true, as the ball veered wide of frame.

Kansas City collected its best chance in the 59th minute when Rossel found Alex Martinez near the outer edge of the box unmarked. But Bobby Shuttleworth made a diving save to keep the sheet unblemished.

Collin’s red card handed the Revolution the man advantage in the final stages, but with the match scoreless going into stoppage time, it appeared they wouldn’t be able to capitalize.

That is until the pressure finally got to Kansas City’s vaunted back-line. Fagundez sent it toward the right post, where Bunbury pushed it through off his chest to send the Foxborough Faithful into euphoria in the 92nd minute.

The hosts weren’t done when Fagundez broke into the box minutes later and went alone on Kronberg, who made the save. The rebound popped up to Fagundez, whose header was stopped by Rossel’s hand. Referee Alan Kelly pointed to the spot, where Nguyen buried the penalty to erase any lingering doubt.

New England returns to action next Saturday when they to BMO Field to face a revamped Toronto FC side at 1pm ET. Kansas City will host the Columbus Crew next Sunday at Sporting Park. Kickoff is set for 3pm CT.

More stories