Argentina is focused and worry-free as the World Cup progresses. Players and coaching staff alike await Saturday’s clash against Iran, a match that could give Argentina a ticket to the Round of 16 and a stranglehold on first place in Group F with a win.
Lacking controversy as far as results go, the main concerns surrounding the team has been Alejandro Sabella’s choice of a 5-3-2 tactic during a lackluster first half against Bosnia. Rodrigo Palacio came to his manager’s defense in the wake of criticism that he deems unnecessary.
“Alejandro didn’t talk about it with us, but we support him and know that any manager can make a mistake¨, said Palacio, who is fully recovered from an ankle injury suffered in a friendly earlier this month in a friendly against Trinidad & Tobago and is expected to come off the bench against Iran.
Palacio also said that the Argentinean players feel very comfortable with the coaching staff and that there is “mutual support” between them. The 32-year-old veteran also highlighted the fact that if the tactical scheme was changed at halftime against Bosnia, it was done with the sole objective of improving play and that it paid off.
Palacio has three goals in 22 career matches for Argentina and is widely considered to be Sabella’s first offensive option off the bench.