The Montreal Impact on Friday denied that striker Didier Drogba had been contacted about a return to English Premier League club Chelsea, in turmoil since sacking manager Jose Mourinho.
"The rumour about Didier Drogba is unfounded," Major League Soccer's Impact posted on their official Twitter account. "No contact has been made with the club or him."
The magazine Jeune Afrique reported Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich called 37-year-old Drogba hours after Mourinho parted ways the with the club on Thursday regarding a possible return to his old club.
Drogba won four Premiership titles with Chelsea and a Champions League crown in 2012.
Drogba, who scored 12 goals in 14 matches for Montreal after signing with the MLS club in July, said last month he was open to the idea of training with Chelsea to maintain his fitness if the Impact agreed.
But at the same time, the Ivory Coast icon doused speculation that he might follow in the footsteps of such former MLS players as David Beckham or Thierry Henry, who inked short-term loan deals to play in Europe in the North American league's off-season.
"I'm not too hot on that idea," he said, adding that he was committed to fulfilling the remaining season on his MLS contract next year.
Chelsea, who won a Premier League and League Cup double last season, are currently 16th place in the Premier League, two places and one point above the relegation zone after nine defeats in 16 games.