Italy coach Cesare Prandelli and federation president Giancarlo Abete left Italian football rudderless on Tuesday as both announced their resignations after the Azzurri failed to qualify for the last 16 of the World Cup.
Despite Abete claiming he would try to convince Prandelli not to quit his post, the 56-year-old Italy handler was unequivocal.
"I will not go back on my decision," said Prandelli.
Italy crashed out after a 1-0 defeat to Uruguay which left them third in Group D.
Abete said his decision had been made prior to the tournament, which saw Italy fail to reach the second round for the second successive edition.
"I'd already taken this decision prior to the World Cup," said Abete.
"I think we need time to reflect."