Join soccerly to save and share the best soccer stories
Sign up with Facebook
By login in with Facebook you agree on the terms and conditions specified here

 
 
 
 
3
   
 
0
   
 
0
   
 
0
   
01/20/2014
 

French Ligue 1 club Montpellier have announced that they have reached a deal with Newcastle United for the transfer of midfield player Remy Cabella. The transfer will not be concluded until the end of the season, meaning Cabella can continue to play for his current club before moving to Newcastle at the end of this campaign. 


Although Newcastle fans are already showing excitement about this transfer on social media and other online forums, cynics may say the club has simply replaced Yohan Cabaye should he leave, which is looking increasingly likely, although Cabella’s style is more in the mold of Hatem Ben Arfa. That said, if this move turns out to be the first of a range of extended activity and is a sign of the club making a serious assault on the UEFA Champions League places next season, Cabaye could well be convinced to stay. However, an already decent squad will surely need further strengthening, with defensive cover and at least two strikers needing to be brought in as permanent signings to make the squad look capable of finishing in the top four of the Premier League.


Cabella has been capped at under-21 level for France but is yet to feature in a senior squad. Montpellier chairman Laurent Nicollin told local newspaper Midi Libre, "We have an agreement with the leaders of Newcastle that I will not reveal. "But it does not include a departure for Remy before June, it is a certainty."


Newcastle are denying that a deal has been concluded for a fee in the region of £12million, although given the selling club are the ones making the announcement, it would appear to be close to completion. Nicollin himself later denied that anything formal had been signed, but given that he’s speaking to the press he’s clearly confident a deal will be done.


Cabaye is a confirmed target of French champions PSG, with coach Laurent Blanc admitting he’d like to sign him this month. For their part, Newcastle have also been heavily linked with Liverpool target Mohamed Salah, currently at FC Basle and who would be more of a like for like replacement for Cabaye. Meanwhile the club are also reportedly in talks to take previous long-term target Luuk de Jong on loan from Borussia Monchengladbach until the end of the season, with a view to a permanent summer deal.

 
0
   
01/19/2014
 

According to reports in France PSG are closing on the signing of Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye.

 

French TV Channel Canal + is reporting that the French giants have agreed a fee with the Premier League club that would see the player return to France in a $42.6 million deal.

 

The talented playmaker was the subject of interest from Manchester United and Arsenal last summer with the latter coming close to sealing a deal.

 

However a move failed to materialise and since then the 28 year old has scored 7 goals and created 2 to help Newcastle to the brink of the Champions league places.

 

Any move by the Paris club is dependent on Newcastle agreeing a deal for Cabaye’s replacement, believed to be Remy Cabella.

 

The highly rated 23 year old is currently on the books of Montpellier and no deal will be completed until the attacking midfielder completes his move to the North East.

 

However according to the player’s current club that deal appears to be some way off with Montpellier coach Rolland Courbis telling reporters after the 2-0 win over Sochaux on Saturday, "(Owner) Louis Nicollin, Remy and his family will decide what is best.

 

"With the amounts currently being discussed, I think Louis is a good enough trader to make the right choice.

 

"I do not think that Remy Cabella can be transferred for this amount when compared to the ridiculous numbers discussed for (Yohan) Cabaye. It would mean that Louis is mad. I meet with him every day and that is not the case."





 
0